PlotEditJohn Masters is holding Auditions for a singer to represent Mayberry at a musicale, meanwhile, Barney is practicing at the Jail when Rafe walks in with a mess of green beans for Aunt Bee. When Barney & Andy start rehearsing, Rafe tells him that he doesn't have the correct tempo, & sings it perfectly for them. John Masters chooses Rafe for the solo performance, and when Mayor Stoner hears of his decision he is appalled by the choice, he & Mrs. Jeffries are convinced that he isn't presentable enough to represent the fair city of Mayberry. The Mayor tells Andy that not only does Rafe look seedy in his appearance, but that he will hold The Sheriff responsible for the way he is dressed. So he goes and gets some clothes for Rafe, & tells him that the Government owed it to him for serving time for Moonshining. Since he doesn't know Rafes size, the clothes are too small, & tight. When showing the "New" Rafe, The Mayor says that as long as he doesn't socialize with anybody, he'll do. Andy sees Mrs. Hollister's reaction, and Andy stands by his man, and Rafe gets raves.
- The episode marks the final appearances of Mayor Roy Stoner, played by Parley Baer and of Rafe Hollister who was played by Jack Prince.
- Rafe's kitchen is actually the same set used for Aunt Bee's. Instead of the door leading to the living room, there is a curtain hanging in its place. You can also see the same trellis work on the porch through the back door, and most of the appliances are in the same spot.
- Rafe sings two traditional folk songs, "Look Down That Lonesome Road" and "New River Train".
- Opie: "You got an organ stuck in your throat Barney?"
- Barney: (snapping and singing) "Acapella. . . Acapella"
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.