Mayberry's local "Scrooge," storeowner Ben Weaver, manages to have harmless bootlegger Sam Muggins thrown into jail on Christmas - but the Mayberry folks manage to celebrate Christmas with Sam in a most unusual way.
PlotEditOn Christmas Eve, Weaver's Department Store owner Ben insists that Andy Jail moonshiner Sam Muggins. Weaver has brought along a jug of moonshine as evidence of Sam's wrongdoing. Andy complies with Weaver's request but feels it's only fair that Sam's wife Bess and his two young children be incarcerated as well since they all had knowledge of Sam's moonshining.
Peeping at the window, Ben Weaver is touched with the Christmas spirit and tries to get himself arrested in order to join the fun. Andy only arrests Weaver, however, after he falls off a drink crate while watching Barney come in dressed as Santa Claus in the alley.Before taking Ben to jail Andy allows him to go back to his store where Ben picks up a suitcase. When they arrive at the Courthouse we learn Ben's suitcase full of gifts from his store. Ben is welcomed and regaled with food and drink. Weaver falls asleep in one of the jail cells after finishing the jug of Sam's moonshine.
- This was the one and only holiday story in the history of The Andy Griffith Show.
- Ben Weaver is said to be the richest man in Mayberry.
- This episode was stated by Elinor Donahue to be her favorite.
- The first mention of the Hubacher Brothers who have sent Andy and Barney a Christmas card from the State Prison.
- A calendar hanging in the cell has Christmas falling on a Wednesday. Christmas 1960 fell on a Sunday. Prior to 1960, Christmas fell on a Wednesday in 1957.
- Andy and Barney receive a letter from the Hubacher brothers, whom Andy and Barney sent to state prison. Under their picture is the message, "Greetings from State Prison." In a blooper, Andy mistakenly reads the message as "Merry Christmas from State Prison".
- A small problem in this episode was with the mention that Ben Weaver's store sold "spirits." Mayberry was in a dry county.
- When Barney is sitting at the desk reading Christmas cards, the card he is holding switches to another one then back to the original one from shot to shot.